Friday 26 February 2010

The September Issue



I've finally managed to watch it this morning. It was quite a nice and light watch. This documentary follows US Vogue Editor, Anna Wintour around as they prepare for the september issue. The most important issue of the year. This was really interesting as it lead us through the process in what needed to go in the magazine and decision making throughout the film. Anna Wintour is evidently the most important person in the film and the fashion industry as she is highly regarded by everyone and even described as like ' Madonna' of the fashion world by designer Thakoon.

Wintour is such an influential figure in the industry, that she is not scared of showing this. Her decisions are the final words in every conversation and she comes across as what some might describe as 'Ice Person'. As she is interviewed on a more personal level, i think her character shines through a little and somehow i felt a little sad for her. With a successful career and family, I can't help but get the sense that she somehow feels a little insecure about her personal life. Maybe it's just me? As she goes onto describe what her siblings are doing and then she moves onto herself. She somehow seems to hesitate and is quite straightforward, when she explains what some people might think of her job especially those close around her, like it's all a joke, "how can you take fashion so seriously, it's almost funny", blah blah blah. Obvious Anna has done a brilliant job with Vogue and this is evident, being one of the most successful magazines in the last few decades and even more.

On a personal level, i know i am nothing like her and will not be anything like her. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing? Somehow i kind of feel how she's feeling. I sometimes think a lot about my work, and i always think right so im doing this but how is this helping anyone? What is the point of this? And it never ceases to baffle me the more i think about it. I sometimes feel that people don't take me seriously when i tell them what i do and all i get is a puzzled face and i don't bother to explain as it leaves them even more puzzled. But sometimes I can't feel but a little hurt when those closest to you don't even get what you're trying to do. My sister graduated with a science degree, my younger brother is doing a science degree and my youngest brother is still in high school but we know that he wants to study science as well, somehow i can't help but feel sometimes disappointed in what i'm doing or capable of doing. I don't know and it's hard to explain. I guess noone will ever fully understand what they want to truly do.

No comments: